Attacked at Work and Stabbed 100 Times — The Tanning Bed Murders

Fraulein Motte
7 min readDec 20, 2023

On February 22, 1996, Tiffany Campbell and Melissa Chilton were found dead inside the Exotic Tan for Men adult establishment with nearly 100 stab wounds.

What happened to them and why?

Melissa Chilton and Tiffany Campbell

Melissa D. Chilton was born in August 1976 in Brush Creek, Tennessee, to Gail and Gary Chilton. At the time of her murder, she was a freshman psychology major at Middle Tennessee State University and resided on campus.

Tiffany M. Campbell, born in October 1977 to Deborah Edmonds and James Campbell, experienced her parents’ divorce a few years after her birth, which proved challenging for her. Subsequently, Tiffany lived with her mother and step-father in Nashville, Tennessee. At the time of her death, she was working on obtaining her GED and re-establishing a relationship with her father.

In September 1995, both Tiffany and Melissa began working at Exotic Tan For Men located at 1805 Church Street in Nashville, TN. Friends had reportedly suggested that the adult business was a lucrative way to earn money while in school. Initially, Tiffany informed her mother, Deborah, that she was employed as a receptionist at the tanning salon, but Deborah later discovered that both girls were working as strip dancers.

Salon front of Exotic Tan For Men | Credit: WKRN

Police indicated that Exotic Tan For Men seemed to function as a front for a strip club with links to sex trafficking. This suspicion arose due to the tanning establishment having just one tanning bed and five waiting rooms, each furnished with a loveseat.

On February 22, 1996, Tiffany and Melissa were scheduled for the day shift at the tanning salon. However, when the owner, Keith Scott, attempted to contact the business in the morning, his calls went unanswered.

Around 2:10 pm, Scott arrived at the salon and made a grim discovery: Tiffany and Melissa were found dead in the break room. The girls appeared to have been brutally attacked and stabbed nearly 100 times collectively.

On February 23, 1996, the Oak Grove, Kentucky police collaborated with the Nashville Metro police to explore the…



Fraulein Motte

I'm an independent journalist and writer based in Tennessee, USA. I specialize in covering true crime and other related topics.